Recently Daniel and Hilke, two friends of mine, bought a Larsen 28. It was stationed in Hobro, Denmark, and they asked me if I wanted to come along to get the boat from there to Kiel in Germany, its new home port. Despite some concern over the low air and water temperatures at this time of year, it was an offer I was happy to accept. A little after noon on Thursday the 31st of March, the train roared out of the station, carrying me toward Eckernförde in northern Germany. It’s Hilke’s home town, and after rendezvousing there and loading all the gear and ourselves into a larger car, we headed for Hobro on the morning of the 1st of April. I’m sad to admit I didn’t get up to any mischief this year, but the trip went smoothly and we proceeded to clean and do some repairs on the boat, as well as loading it up and getting it ready for craning. It was in the water Saturday evening, and after some final preparations and a test sail, we headed off on Sunday afternoon.
It was sailing upwind in light air, which was a good start to get to know the boat a boat. With a bit of motoring, we made it from Hobro to Hadsund by nightfall. In the following days we sailed to Grenaa, Hou, Middelfart, Middelfart (again), Damp, and finally Kiel. Conditions started off with light air upwind sailing, with the wind increasing significantly over the course of the week. On the leg from Wednesday Hoi to Middelfart we sailed upwind in 13-18 knots for most of the day, but encountered sustained winds over 20 knots later on, which hindered us from continuing under sail. The boat doesn’t have any storm sails yet, and the jib with a double reefed main proved too much when sailing to weather. Thursday morning was peaceful, and with the same forecast as the day before, but better shelter from land and deeper water, we felt pretty optimistic about the day.
I even took a few minutes of video, reflecting on the trip so far, and looking forward to another day’s sailing.
— Little did we know just what we were heading into…